Walima – The Sunnah Way
The Muslims perform the practice of Walima in the Sunnah way. Walima is an Islamic tradition in weddings, and those who perform it, according to Sunnah, earn a huge reward from Allah. The basic question is, what is Walima. So, for your information, we will share some information about Walima.
You may also like to learn about Quran Classes.
In Muslim weddings, the first thing to do to make the relationship between a man and a woman legal, sacred, and formal is to tie them in Nikah. After Nikah, the groom’s family gives the meal to the relatives and friends; this is called Walima. Walima is basically giving meals to friends and family members on the occasion of marriage. Get the idea from Basic Quran Reading Courses.
Walima in Islam:
Walima is a Sunnah act, and our Holy Prophet Muhammad SAW performed it after his marriages. On the occasion of the marriage of Hazrat Muhammad SAW with Hazrat Zainab bint Jahsh (R.A), the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) gave meat and bread to the guests. So, it shows that Walima is the Sunnah of Hazrat Muhammad SAW, and there is nothing wrong with it.
The exact day for giving Walima:
Many people ask us the exact day for giving Walima. Well, the answer is in a Hadith of the Holy Prophet Muhammad SAW, he said;
“Walima on the first day is best (Haq), and on the second day, it is (ma’ruf), and on the third day, it is show off.” [Sunan Abu Dawud, 3738]
We need to understand the saying of our Prophet SAW that he has declared the Walima on the third day as show off. Alas, we have left the Islamic traditions and are busy copying the Hindutva traditions. So, we need to give Walima on the first or second day of marriage. In this way, we will copy the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet, Hazrat Muhammad SAW and will earn the reward from Allah.
Things to do on Walima:
We need to do several things on the day of Walima. We will share them in the following;
1) The groom needs to wear neat and clean clothes.
2) invite the relatives of the bride to the Walima.
3) if the poor come to the Walima, don’t rebuke them; instead, give them proper food.
4) Invite those relatives who are rude to you and your family.
Things to avoid on Walima:
1) we must not display the bride in front of the guest as it is against Islamic teachings. It is the practice of the other culture.
2) sending invitations to friends and relatives living in distant places.
3) Dancing in the wedding halls and playing songs is totally against the Islamic teachings. So, avoid these things
4) Keep in mind that your Walima must not cross the limit of simplicity, i.e., don’t make your Walima a show off.
5) Many people serve an immense number of dishes on Walima. It is a waste of food. So, don’t be among the extravagates.
When someone invites you to Walima, you need to go there and make your presence there. The beloved Prophet of Allah, Hazrat Muhammad SAW, said;
“The worst food is that of a wedding banquet (Walima) to which only the rich are invited while the poor are not invited. And the one who refuses an invitation (to a Walima) disobeys Allah and His Messenger (Peace Be Upon Him).” This Hadith is quoted with Sahih Sanad in Sahih Bukhari.
Walima is a Sunnah act. It is an occasion of joy and happiness for both the groom and bride’s family. So, it needs to be performed according to the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet SAW. Also, the relatives need to attend the Walima function and obey the order of Allah SWT.